Pretty in Pink Cake


For my Mama’s birthday recently, I made a stack of pretty pink and white cupcakes, displayed on a charming retro cake stand. I was over the moon with the results; I think it is well worth mentioning that the recipe I used was faultless; producing light, vanilla sponge cupcakes with a perfectly flat top – that is to say, the ideal surface to ice/decorate in any way you wish. I used pretty pastel-pink cases and iced the cakes using a standard buttercream icing (one part butter to two parts icing sugar.) I used this, plain, for the cream colour effect swirls and whipped in a drop of pink food colouring for the pink ones. I scattered some white chocolate stars and pink sprinkles as a finishing touch. Simple and lovely!

As I was travelling some distance with these beauties, I made them a few days before hand and froze them. Once packaged carefully, they stayed perfect and held their shape beautifully. I took a risk doing this as someone advised me not to freeze the iced cupcakes as the process would spoil them – well I beg to differ. These were just perfect and I wouldn’t hesitate to do it again.

Here is the perfect flat-topped cupcake recipe. Makes around 24 standard cupcakes.
  • 1 cup /8oz butter
  • 1 cup/8oz caster sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 cups /8oz self-raising flour
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 350f/180c/Gas Mark 4.
  2. Sift flour and pop in food processor with the butter and vanilla. Mix on medium.
  3. Add the eggs one by one, till thoroughly combined.
  4. Spoon equally into the cupcake cases. Bake for approx 16 minutes til golden.
  5. Allow to cool on wire racks before icing.

0 comments:

Post a Comment