Setup Globe Broadband with D-Link DIR-300 Wireless G Router

I've been getting a lot of queries on how I setup my Globe Broadband connection to power my simple home wireless network.

Well, I’ll share how I did it today.


First off, some reminders and warnings of sorts. I’m not a computer networking professional nor have I received any formal training in setting up computer networks. What I’m going to share here is based on my first-hand experiences in working with computers and routers backed by trial-and-error methods, research from the web and self-teachings.

Now that’s clear, I’ll go right into the meat of this post by using this photo I’ve prepared for this occasion.

It’s that simple. Here are the steps:
  1. Place the router in an open and central location. Do not plug the power adapter into the router.
  2. Turn the power off on your modem. If there is no on/off switch, then unplug the modem’s power adapter. Shut down your computer.
  3. Unplug the Ethernet cable (that connects your computer to your modem) from your computer and place it into the WAN port on the router.
  4. Plug an Ethernet cable into one of the four LAN ports on the router. Plug the other end into the Ethernet port on your computer.
  5. Turn on or plug in your modem. Wait for the modem to boot (about 30 seconds).
  6. Plug the power adapter to the router and connect to an outlet or power strip. Wait about 30 seconds for the router to boot.
  7. Turn on your computer.
  8. Verify the link lights on the router. The power light, WAN light, and the LAN light (the port that your computer is plugged into) should be lit. If not, make sure your computer, modem, and router are powered on and verify the cable connections are correct.
Now here’s how I configured my home Wi-Fi:
  1. Open a web browser, I used Firefox when I first configured the home Wi-Fi.
  2. Type in 192.168.0.1 into the address bar.
  3. Type in admin as username and leave the password field blank. (I’ve changed these default settings to my own so as to increase my network’s security.)
  4. Used the Internet Connection Setup Wizard and after all the steps, my home Wi-Fi is up, secured and providing internet access throughout our entire house and compound.
The D-Link DIR-300 Wireless G router has been in service in my house for almost a year now and so far, it has been performing superbly well. It may not be the leading model in its line but it sure provides a solid value for the money I spent on it, which is not that much as compared to other wireless routers.

It’s ease of use, setup and configuration has made setting up a home Wi-Fi network as easy as plugging in a flash drive to your pc or laptop. The only problems I have with it is when my internet connection becomes intermittent every once in a while, but then that’s Globe’s fault!

Anyone else using the D-Link DIR-300 wireless router? How about similar routers? How was your experience in setting up your home Wi-Fi network?

0 comments:

Post a Comment