MikroTik is a Latvian company which was founded in 1995 to develop routers and wireless ISP systems. MikroTik now provides hardware and software for Internet connectivity in most of the countries around the world.
Our experience in using industry standard PC hardware and complete routing systems allowed us in 1997 to create the RouterOS software system that provides extensive stability, controls, and flexibility for all kinds of data interfaces and routing.
In 2002 we decided to make our own hardware, and the RouterBOARD brand was born. We have resellers in most parts of the world, and customers in probably every country on the planet.
Mikrotik are famous for their RouterOS and also their RouterBoard hardware. Their products are affordable yet featured pack. In the SEA region, Indonesia ISP uses these Mikrotik routers in their backend. In fact if you Google about Mikrotik, Indonesia has a huge user base.
Over here in Malaysia, these Mikrotik routers became famous when Unifi was launched. At that time, Mikrotik routers had support VLAN tagging, and was one of the most affordable ones around. With VLAN tagging, it allowed the user to replace TM provided router with their own, while retaining both internet access and IPTV service.
RouterOS can be installed on a PC or on Mikrotik hardware, or better known as RouterBoard. You can read about the featuers of RouterOS with this PDF file from Mikrotik.
Their RouterOS comes in many versions from Level 0 to Level 6. Read the difference of each level here.
You may try and download the Level 0 which is a full featured RouterOS, but with a 24 hour limit.
- RouterBoard are special hardware platform manufactured by Mikrotik.
- You can view all their hardware on their routerboard.com website.
- You could also view the hardware features by viewing this PDF from Mikrotik.
- | WinBox via IP or MAC address
- | Web Interface via IP
- | SSH via IP
- | Telnet via IP
- | Terminal via Serial connection (selected models) [This is OLD SKOOL]
- Malaysia Distributor: Landasan Teknologi (M) Sdn Bhd (website)
- Malaysia: Computer Zone
- From Singapore: Just google Mikrotik Singapore and you'll get a few online retailers
- From Lowyat Forum: Just do a forum search and you'll find some sellers
- Start by visiting Mikrotik's Wiki page. For most home users, you'll find instructions with sample codes available.
- Their Wiki pages also has lots of interesting articles, discussion topics as well as advance routing concepts.
- If you are unable to find what you need, please try your best friend Google.
- Or you could just post on this thread, and we'll hopefully someone who is expert enough to help.
There are basically 6 certification available. More info here.
- MTCNA - MikroTik Certified Network Associate
- MTCRE - MikroTik Certified Routing Engineer
- MTCWE - MikroTik Certified Wireless Engineer
- MTCTCE - MikroTik Certified Traffic Control Engineer
- MTCUME - MikroTik Certified User Management Engineer
- MTCINE - MikroTik Certified Inter-networking Engineer
- MTCNA | 3 to 6 Oct 2011 | Organised by Spectrum Indonesia
- MTCNA | 5 to 7 July 2011 | Organised by Landasan Teknologi
- + Affordable hardware
- + Full featured routerOS with enterprise features
- + Hotspot with Radius support
- + etc
- Need to have basic networking knowledge to setup
- Advance setting require someone with good RouterOS knowledge
- Not for the ordinary home user
- I started MUG on Facebook because a few friends/users asked me to.
- However I believe that the forum format would be easier for discussion.
- Did you know that KLIA's free Hotspot service is service by Mikrotik hardware?