How To Cut and Open The Durian

Guest Post By Rice&Spice

Please do not laugh if this the way how the foreigner cut and open the durian!


I got a durian for my birthday. How weird is my life?

I have fond memories of this infamously stinky fruit. It’s a favorite of my mothers, and she will fight you for the last piece. It’s been years since I’ve had one, but thanks to the global food market, my friend Anthony delivered one, frozen, to my doorstep. I gathered a coalition of the brave and willing and sliced into it.

Because of its spiny hide, cutting the durian open was a challenge
Unfortunately, I don’t think I like durians anymore. This specimen tasted like a rotten onion and I couldn’t take more than a few bites. Perhaps it was underripe–it didn’t have the custardy texture I remembered. Or maybe freezing doesn’t do the poor fruit any favors.


Still, how many people in this part of the world have the distinction of receiving a durian for their birthday? For the sheer surprise factor, you can’t beat that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment